Welcome

As the satire columnist for the English edition of ukrant.nl, I'm technically a professional writer, which is the funniest thing to come out of that job.

In addition to coming up with a dumb joke once every two weeks, I also write things for fun. This is a blog for those half baked ideas.

Monday, November 30, 2015

Rations

My roommate and I shared a kitchen with one other pair of roommates. I was the only one of the four who stayed, so I've got the kitchen to myself now. Which is nice I suppose. But while I do like and know how to cook. I've never been in a situation quite like this. I have to buy all my own food. Also, I have to plan actual meals! How weird!

Joking aside, it really is weird for me. My girlfriend and I went shopping and bought some stuff on sale.
  • Cheap pancake mix. (It's like $2 for a whole box with 14 servings)
  • Stuff for tuna salad. (there was some pricing shenanigans going on there.)
  • Some frozen shrimp.
  • Some other stuff
Aside from what we bought I have all the stuff laying around:
  • Some squash.
  • A sweet potato. 
  • A whole bunch of peanut butter and other assorted things of that nature (jam, honey)
  • And my multivitamin protein mix thing that I bought awhile ago.
With the tuna, we were about to get a larger tin rather than several smaller tins, but we looked again at the prices and realized that the exact same amount of tuna in smaller tins would cost half as much as one large tin. Needless to say we bought the smaller tins, and they were priced quite well for about 50 cents each.

Next time I go shopping I think I'll swing by hMart and pick up a box of their bulk noodles. Even though they're imported they are far cheaper than the stuff offered in most stores around. Each box has like 30 packs, and I think the boxes are about $8. However, now that I think about it that sounds too good to be true, so I'll have to report back on that. Other than that, I think I'll pick up a container of their kimchi and go with the not super budget type of pancake mix. You know, the type which calls for milk and eggs, not just water. Plus then I'll have eggs milk! The milk will make smoothies with all that frozen fruit I have much easier. Also some beans, and rice.

1 comment:

  1. "Too good to be true" is what you said in the store when we were there last! <3

    ReplyDelete