Welcome

As the satire columnist for the English edition of ukrant.nl, I'm technically a professional writer, which is the funniest thing to come out of that job.

In addition to coming up with a dumb joke once every two weeks, I also write things for fun. This is a blog for those half baked ideas.

Sunday, November 29, 2015

Like Harry in Hogwarts.

Although finals have been over for about a week now, this is only the end of my second day or so in the dorms. I spent thanksgiving at my grandmother's house in a nearby city and have only recently returned. I've only been here two days, and I'm already bored enough to write a blog about living in the dorms. It just goes to show how much free time I have. Which, come to think of it, doesn't bode well for how interesting a read this will turn out to be.

I thought about doing a vlog. Then I realized that I don't have a webcam on my desktop, and my laptop sucks so I avoid using it whenever possible.

So that was out the window.

Now, here I am, starting a blog. Something I've done four times now. Hopefully this will go better than the last ones.

My first attempt at a blog was begotten out of boredom in a 9th grade AP human geography course. It was on the strategies being used in the lower leagues of StarCraft II. I try not to think about it.

Then I tried to use a blog as a memory bank during my time as a foreign exchange student in Switzerland. And while some of the stuff on there is alright (I might copy and paste my favorite stuff into later posts), I ended up totally falling off with my writing because I got so sucked into life there.

Finally, I started a blog as part of a high school project in order to chronicle my progress in training for a marathon. As with all the other ones, I started off strong, but then fell off in my posts, which isnt to say I fell off in my training. In fact, even though I didn't meet the virtual goal of posting every time I ran, I did meet the goal of running the marathon. Marathons are hard guys.

I hope this has instilled confidence in you, dear readers, that I'll manage to keep up the updates.

Which is obviously a joke, because my track record indicates that exactly the opposite will happen. But I have faith in myself here, because I seriously have a lot of free time and nothing to do. There's no one around, and the eerie silence of the dorms is made almost oppressive by the cold, snowy weather outside. I need something to do to occupy my time, so I might as well do something productive. I want to write during the whole six week break (5 weeks left at this point.) Maybe I'll improve, maybe I'll just get used to writing every day. Either way, it'll help with the two writing classes I'm taking next quarter.

In addition to writing this blog, I'm just going to write. Short stories, maybe I'll post them here. I dunno.

Part of the reason I wanted to stay was that Harry Potter stayed in the dorms over winter break in the books. So here I am, Harry Potter in my Hogwarts. Except I'm not named Harry. I'm not a wizard: I'm an economics student. And this isn't a cozy castle: it's a silent, Orwellian looking tower with low ceilings, and narrow corridors dimly lit with flickering florescent tubes.

No comments:

Post a Comment